Paulskiche (St. Paul's Church)
The St. Paul´s Church (Paulskirche) is the symbol of German democracy - it was here, in 1849, that it became the seat of the Frankfurter National Assembly (Frankfurter Nationalversammlung) the first freely elected German legislative body and where the first democratic constitution was brough to paper. A colossal mural on the ground floor (unveiled in 1991) by Berlin artist Johannes Grützke depicts the march of assemblymen towards the Paulskirche.
The red sandstone neo-classical building which started as Lutheran church was built between 1789 and 1833 by town master masons J.A. Liebhardt and J.F.C. Hess.
The Church was destroyed during the allied bombardments on the 18th March 1944 after it had already been hit in October 1943. The last church service was held on the 12th March 1944.
Because of its symbolic importance as the cradle of German democracy it was one of the first Frankfurt buildings to be reconstructed after the war.
It is today used for symbolic functions like the ceremony around Goethe Prize award (Goethepreis der Stadt Frankfurt) every 3 years or the Peace Prize Award of German Book Publishers (Friedenspreises des Deutschen Buchhandels) annualy during the Frankfurt Book Fair.
(for more information: en.wikipedia.org/Pauls-Church)
60311 Frankfurt (City / Historic)
Tel: +49 (0)69 212 34920
|Getting there||U4, U5, tram lines 11, 12 to Dom/Römer;
5 minute walk from Hauptwache